Local Experts. Trusted Results. Matt has recovered millions for Hamilton area accident victims over the past 15 years.
About Lalande & Company Lawyers
Matt Lalande is the principal lawyer at Lalande & Company Lawyers. Our firm focuses on helping individuals who have been harmed by the wrongful actions of disability insurance companies, negligent drivers, property owners (residential and commercial), the healthcare system, the aviation industry, individuals and companies. Over the past 14 years Matt has represented hundreds of clients and disability claimants in Hamilton and throughout Ontario and has recovered millions of dollars by settlements and trial verdicts.
Matt is passionate about helping critically hurt victims return to an optimal quality of life. Over the years, he has represented many clients who, within moments, have gone from being active and independent individuals to completely immobilized with loss of bodily function and totally dependent on others to meet their most basic needs. The instantaneous and devastating effects of a serious injury can result in a total disruption of a person’s life and work, and have far-reaching physical, social, and psychological consequences that require ongoing rehabilitation.
Our goal is to ensure that no matter what the cost, you and your loved ones are fully protected financially for the rest of your life. We believe that each and every client deserves to be serviced with respect, proper communication, and commitment. We will fight for every dollar you or your family deserves. We will fight to help you hold those responsible for the harm done to you accountable for their actions.
WHAT WE PRACTICE AND HOW WE CAN HELP
Disability Insurance Law
Our Hamilton lawyers specialize in denied disability insurance law. We represent claimants all over Ontario. We have represented hundreds of clients with their disability claims against insurance companies in both private and group policies throughout all stages of the disability claims process and through to trial. We are also routinely referred disability claims to litigate by many employment lawyers across the province due to our specialization of complex health and injury related trial work.
Serious Injury Litigation
Our Hamilton law firm also specializes in complex and serious injury litigation. We have represented hundreds of seriously injured victims that suffer orthopedic trauma and injuries, spinal cord injuries, people hurt in bicycle accidents, car accidents, pedestrian accidents, slip and fall and trip and fall claims, impaired driving crashes caused by over-serving in bars and restaurants, slip-and-fall accidents, birth injury trauma, motorcycle accidents and truck accidents. He has dedicated his career to obtaining justice for those who have suffered life-changing physical and emotional injuries due to the wrongful actions of the healthcare system, government agencies, individuals, and companies.
Our Hamilton law firm has extensive experience in prosecuting negligence cases which have caused pain, harms and losses to people. In our society, we all owe a duty of care not to harm other people or diminish another persons’s well being. When you drive my car, for example, you are under a legal duty of care to other motorists or pedestrians. If someone causes you injury that is foreseeably avoidable, then they could be liable to pay you compensation. We often represent plaintiffs involved in negligence that have caused injury and losses – such as slip and fall cases, trip and fall cases, birth injury cases, wrongful death, dog attack cases, nursing home negligence, elderly abuse, plaintiff who have been assaulted, swimming pool and drowning accident cases.
There is nothing more painful than saying goodbye to a loved one that died unexpectedly. Our Hamilton lawyers have represented hundreds of families who have lost loved ones do to the negligence other people and companies. Wrongful death claims are complex and legally challenging. We understand that it is important for you to understand that you have many questions, what a wrongful death claim is in Ontario, who may file a case, how the value of the claim is determined and the statute of limitations in Ontario for filing a wrongful death claim. We have recovered millions of dollars for families of wrongful death victims over the past 14 years.
Wrongful Dismissal | Termination Law
Lalande & Company Lawyers regularly helps employees who have been terminated. if you have been terminated and need your severance package reviewed, please contact our office. We will set up a call to determine if you have a case. We are happy to help employees province wide.
Lalande & Company Lawyers has always believed that estate planning is a necessity that should be affordable and accessible to all Hamilton area residents. We understand that estate planning is not the highest priority, and most people do not like to think or their own mortality, but planning today could but taking this action today can prevent substantial frustrations in the future for your loved ones. Life does not always follow a straight and linear path, which means it is important to be prepared.
Matt is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada and the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association. He is also a former director with the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, a member of the American Association for Justice Trial Lawyers, an avid speaker, a writer for legal and media outlets, a former member of the Oakville Trafalgar Hospital Ethics Committee, a former writer and co-chair of the litigator magazine, and a current writer for the Lawyer’s Daily and the First Reference Employment Law Website.
CANADA’S BEST LAWYERS
Matt’s skills as a victim advocate has been recognized by his peers and the legal community alike. In 2018, Matt was recognized as one of Canada’s Best Personal Injury Lawyers.
SPEAKING AND WRITING ENGAGEMENTS
As well as being one of Hamilton’s personal injury lawyers, Matt Lalande has also volunteered his time and has written and spoken on various personal injury law and employment issues close to seventy-five times. Some (but not all) of Matt’s articles and speaking engagements are as follows:
- Writer, Can you Audio Record your Doctor at an IME? – Lawyer’s Daily, April 2018
- Writer, Undue Hardship vs Frustration of Contracts – A review of the Court of Appeal Decision Nason v. Thunder Bay Orthopedic Inc. 2017 ONCA 641
- Writer, “5 Things that Injury Lawyers Should Know About Employment Law” – Lawyer’s Daily, August 2017
- Writer, “Personal Injury and Engineering Standards – ANSI, NFSI, ASTM, COF, SBR…what does this all mean and why should you be aware of American Standards when Litigating in Canada?” – Lawyer’s Daily, July 2017
- Presenter, “Cross-Examination: The Best Techniques” – Hamilton Law Association Annual 16th Annual Advocacy Conference, December 2016
- Presenter – “When Your Patient Leaves Your Care” – Orthopedic Surgeon Educational Rounds Dinner, July 2016
- Co-Chair, “The Modern Law Clerk” – Canadian Defence Lawyers, March 2016
- Presenter, “The Modern Law Clerk” – Canadian Defence Lawyers, March 2016
- Co-Chair, “Product Liability in Practice” – Ontario Trial Lawyer’s Association, April 1st 2014
- Presenter, “What we do: a personal injury lawsuit from A to Z” – DSD Rehabilitation Clinics, October 2014
- Presenter, “Now this is a great medical report, let me tell you why” – 37th Annual Ontario Orthopedics Association General Meeting, November 2015
- Panelist – “Ticklers and Limitation Periods” – OTLA Spring Conference, May 2014.
- Presenter, “Prepare to be Cross-Examined” – Oakville Medical Legal Orthopedics Educational Rounds, March 5th 2014.
- Presenter, “Preparing your Expert for the Woodshed “- Hamilton Law Association Conference, December 4th 2014.
- Writer, “Depuy Hip Implant Class Litigation Certification Approved”, The Lawyers Weekly, December 2014.
- Writer, “An Update on Metal on Metal Implants” – Lawyers Weekly, October 2013.
- Writer, “Increased Cost again awarded by the Court of Appeal against Defendants that refuse to participate in mediation” – The Lawyers Weekly, June 2013.
- Speaker, “Putting your best foot forward: Settling with Adjusters” Ontario Trial Lawyers Spring Conference, May 2013.
- Writer, “Optional Accident Benefits: A Primer” – The Lawyers Weekly, February 2012.
- Writer, “The Law of Nervous Shock” – Litigator Magazine, Co-Author, Winter 2013 Edition.
- Writer, “Personal Injury Primer: The Duty of Care of Landlords” – The Lawyers Weekly, February 2013.
- Writer, “The Defence of Self-Defence – from a Civil Perspective” – The Lawyers Weekly, October 2012.
- Writer, “The Bill 198 Threshold – Business Acumen Still Required” – The Lawyers Weekly, Lawyer’s Weekly, September 7th 2012.
- Writer, “A Review of The Barton V. Rona And the Law of Just Cause” – First Reference, August 23rd 2012.
- Writer, “Not an Employee? Not an Independent Contractor? How the Courts Define the Hybrid” – First Reference, July 11 2012.
- Writer, “The Enforceability of Termination Provisions within Contracts of Employment” – First Reference, May 13, 2012.
- Writer, “Variables Affecting Length of Notice: Age, First Reference” – April 9th, 2012.
- Writer, “An Overview of Damages Within the Context of Employment Law”, First Reference, March 12, 2012.
- Writer, “Court Again Confirms No Upper Limit with Damages for Non-Management and Low-Level Workers” – First Reference, February 2012.
- Writer, “Employees that wish to withdraw resignations: what to do?” – First Reference, January 2012.
- Writer, “Is suffering before death compensable at law?” – The Lawyers Weekly, February 2012
- Writer, “The Sale of a Business and Some Implications for Employers and Employees” – First Reference, December 2011.
- Writer, “Wrongful Death Awards Kept in Check” – First Reference, November 2011.
- Speaker, “How to properly hire and fire employees to avoid a wrongful dismissal claim” – Chamber of Commerce Lunch and Learn , January 2009.
- Writer, “Shifting Strategy: When a Client Dies Mid-Litigation” – The Litigator Magazine, Fall 2009.
- Writer, “Plaintiffs Entitled to Costs Even Though Threshold Not Met” – The Lawyers Weekly, September 2008.
- Writer, “CPP: Terms You Must Know” – The Litigator Magazine, Winter 2007.
- Speaker, “Policy Considerations: Directly or indirect use of an Automobile, Ontario Trial Lawyers Conference” – Ontario Trial Lawyer Spring Conference, May 2006.
- Writer, “Home Insurance Policies…Exclusions…Exclusions…Exclusions” – The Litigator Magazine, Summer 2007 Edition.
- Speaker, “Lumbermens Mutual Casualty Co. v. Herbison – Shooting for Coverage…Literally” – Ontario Trial Lawyers Spring Conference, May 2006.
- Writer, “Beware of The Phantom Client” – The Litigator Magazine, 2007 Fall Edition.
- Writer, “Entering the workforce: what you need to know about employment contracts” – Jobpostings.ca, November 2010.
- Writer, “Social Networking During Work Hours. Does Micromanagement Kill Morale?” – Jobpostings.ca, January 2010
CONTACT LALANDE & COMPANY TODAY
Lalande & Company Lawyers understands that dealing with an insurance company can be a complex, confusing, and aggravating time for accident victims and their families. We also understand that many people have never dealt with a personal injury lawyer before and find the process of finding the right lawyer very confusing. Our Hamilton personal injury lawyers make it easy. We encourage any inquiries and we will discuss your legal options thoroughly. The financial and emotional effects of an accident can severely and immediately impact the life of the person involved and their loved ones. Our experienced Hamilton personal injury lawyers are dedicated to effectively and efficiently resolving your case, which will allow you to get on with your life. You can let our skilled lawyers negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf. There is no cost to contact our Hamilton lawyers. Our consultations are free, without obligation, and confidential. Our lawyers are flexible and can arrange a consultation at a time that is convenient to you and your family. We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Fill out a contact form or call us today at 905-333-8888 or 1-833-4-LAWFIRM today.