Bicycle Accidents: Common Injuries, Common Causes.
3 Minute Read by Hamilton Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Lalande & Company Lawyers are advocactes for cycling safety and the legal rights of injured bicyclists in the city of Hamilton and it’s surrounding areas. As Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Hamilton, we have helped many victims that have been hurt or suffered losses as a result of bicycle accidents. We pride ourselves on providing experienced advocacy for those injured or killed in Hamilton bicycle crashes. There is no doubt that as more people are taking to bicycle riding as a form of transportation, we’re seeing more accidents and injuries to cyclists over the years. In 2016, there were 179 recorded cyclist accidents in Hamilton. Up until then, the number of yearly cyclist collisions hovered around 160 per year, since 2012.
The SoBi Hamilton bike share program is recording a 20% increase in trips this past year. Plus, Hamilton is in the midst of a 20-year cycling master plan, with the proposed bike network only about 11% complete. As Hamilton continues to grow as a bike-friendly city, more cyclists will be on the roads. We believe it is important that both cyclists and motorists follow the rules of the road so everyone can enjoy a safe bike ride.
Have you been hurt in a Bicycle Accident?
While there is an obvious upside to cycling – being good for fitness, recreation and the environment – there is a serious downside. Accidents are a common phenomenon.
Common causes of cycling accidents have been commonly linked to:
- Driver inattention or distracted driving;
- A vehicle making a right turn while looking left – meaning a vehicle pulls out of a street, and turns right while looking left for oncoming vehicles and hits cyclist crossing the road. Unfortunately this is one of the common causes for both bicycle and pedestrian related accidents and death;
- The right hook is a common type of bicycle accident. This is when a vehicle is driving down the street, with a cyclists travelling beside it, to it’s right, in a bicycle lane or on the road. The vehicle turns right without seeing the bicycle in it’s blind spot, cut-off the cyclist and causes a terrible accident;
- Another common bicycle accident occurs when a car, travelling the opposite the cyclist, turns left in front of a cyclist and cuts him off;
- Most Ontario bicycle accidents involving serious injury or fatal injury occur in urban areas, with over 80% occurring in the daylight.
Many Hamilton bicycle accidents occur simply because drivers are distracted, not operating safely for road conditions or simply fail to respect the rights and space afforded to bicyclists on Hamilton roadways.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Collisions can be a very unfortunate side effect of cycling. As Hamilton bicycle accident lawyers, we see many bike injuries due to collisions with motorists. Most crashes occur due to the cyclists riding at highspeeds, or the cyclist or motorist not being aware of their surroundings or the rules of the road. Injuries can range from minor to fatal, and often, the severity of the injury could have been lessened with proper protection such as a helmet.
The Most Common Injuries for Cyclists as the Result of a Bicycle Accident:
- Head injuries including concussion, fractures, cuts and traumatic brain injury, some of which can be fatal;
- Serious neck injuries and neck fractures;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Clavicle breaks;
- Arm injuries including sprains, scrapes, fractures and dislocation;
- Leg injuries such as scrapes, bruises and fractures;
- Chest, pelvis and abdomen injuries, some of which can be fatal
- Road rash.
When a bike accident is the result of a collision with a vehicle, the cyclist will have the highest likelihood of being the most injured.
What to do if you were involved in a Bicycle Accident?
Firstly, it is important that you seek medical attention. Even if you think your wounds are only superficial it is important to get checked out for possible internal bleeding or concussion. If you can, it is important to document what occurred at the time of the accident. If you can take pictures of the accident scene or gather witnesses, that is always beneficial.
Your next step will be to determine if the motorist is liable or at fault for the accident. At this point, it is best to seek a consultation from a personal injury lawyer who has experience in bicycle/motorist accidents. Navigating insurance and negligence can become a complicated issue. A lawyer can help insure you are legally protected which will bring you peace of mind while you recover from your injuries.
If you’ve been in a Bicycle Accident, talk to Experienced Bicycle Accident Lawyers Hamilton
Lalande & Company Lawyer provide experienced representation for those injured or killed in Ontario bicycle crashes. In most cycling crashes the motorist is at fault and left uninjured, while the cycling victim may face life-threatening injuries. If this has happened to you, our Hamilton Personal Injury Lawyers have has extensive experience providing representation for people who have been involved in a cyclist/motorist accident.
Our Hamilton Bicycle Accident Lawyers have the experience, knowledge, access to the right people and resources to help you recover fair compensation if you have suffered bicycle related injuries. In many cases, available insurance coverage of the at-fault motorist may be insufficient to recover losses. Identifying and recovering damages from other at-fault parties or making a claim with your own insurance carrier may be necessary.
Feel free to call us at 905-333-8888, fill in a contact form or chat with our live operator, 24/7, who will be please in setting up a free consultation, with no obligation to you or your family. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a Hamilton bicycle accident, it is very important to speak with an experienced bicycle accident lawyer that understands your rights and the full range of compensation that you or your family may be entitled to.