We are veteran Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyers.
Unfortunately for motorcyclists, riding in Hamilton and throughout the Golden Horseshoe is certainly not without risk. When a motorcycle accident happens, the results can be absolutely devastating. Motorcycle riders are at a particularly high risk of injury or even death when compared to other motorists involved in vehicle accidents due to both the physical vulnerability of being exposed to the elements surrounding them and being without protection. The trauma that almost all motorcycle accident victims endure can be nearly impossible to imagine. Many motorcycle accident victims suffer catastrophic injuries that cause them to be unable to work, support their families or return to their normal lives.
Being in involved in a motorcycle accident can be life changing, terribly traumatic and overwhelming. While some motorcycle accidents are minor incidents that don’t require a Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyer, most bike accidents involve extremely complicated insurance issues which usually are not the biker’s fault and too stressful for an injured party to deal with.
We Specialize in Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Our Hamilton personal injury lawyers have recovered millions for motorcycle accident victims. We are experienced Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyers who are fully aware that it will be an uphill battle for injured motorcyclists to recover compensation from insurance companies. Not only are Ontario motorcycle insurance claims becoming increasingly complex to litigate, the system is unfortunately not victim friendly by any means.
If you have been in a motorcycle accident, you should never try and negotiate with the insurance system on your own when trying to recover compensation for your injuries. If you have been hurt while riding your motorcycle, it is absolutely vital that you contact a Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyer to help you get through these difficult times. This is a time when you and your loved ones should be focusing on getting home, starting your rehabilitation, meeting with your doctors and your occupational therapists. We will deal with the insurance companies and act on your behalf to make sure you receive the best possible medical care and legal representation.
Why do you need a motorcycle accident lawyer if you’ve been hurt?
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a serious motorcycle accident you will no doubt need assistance with the discharge from the hospital or rehab unit back to your house. Our Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyers will assist in contacting your insurance company to help set up your accident benefits in order to pay for the cost of retaining acute care occupational therapists to assist with your hospital discharge. Occupational therapists should ALWAYS be retained by your Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyers and not your insurance company. Discharge planning is a primary aspect of an acute care occupational therapist’s job. Obtaining the proper accident benefit funding and proper discharge planning is an important part of acute care practice. The last thing you need is to be discharged home with unmet rehabilitation needs. It’s vital that you retain an experienced personal injury lawyer to help with all of your discharge planning needs.
How much compensation are you entitled to?
We understand that there is no amount of money which can return you or your loved one to how things were, but we can help you recover money from insurance companies to help compensate you for your losses because you are hurt and you can’t work. By working with an experienced Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyer, you can ensure that your financial future will be protected. We will obtain the appropriate amount of compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company to help protect you and your family.
Our experienced Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyers will be able to help put together the right team of medical experts, occupational therapists, life care planners and accountants to help figure out exactly how much money you have lost financially and how much money it will take to get your life back on track.
In most cases, a motorcycle accident victim will seek significant compensation for pain and suffering, past lost income, future lost income, any difference in lost income, health and rehabilitation expenses outside of OHIP, money to replace your inability to take care of your home, and in some cases, financial management fees for the compensation you are seeking.
The amount of compensation is often dependent on the type and severity of injury that you have suffered, your physical pain, psychological anguish and emotional suffering. You may also receive compensation for physical disfigurement, such as scarring and burning type injuries. We will also make sure that you are compensation on your behalf for your loss of income from the accident date, until your projected retirement date.
What if the Motorcycle Accident was partly my fault?
Many people that retain us often wrongly assume that the accident was or may have been partially their fault and because so, they are not entitled to compensation. This might is certainly not something you should assume.
When describing motorcycle accidents, most people use the term fault, while lawyers use the term liability. Liability in motorcycle accidents is not always easy to determine. In some cases, both parties might be partially at fault for the accident, for example, the rider may have turned left illegally while the driver of an oncoming truck may have been impaired. Sometimes determining fault is not difficulty. Most motorcycle accidents in Ontario are rear end collisions, often caused by drivers not paying attention.
Sometimes, it is very difficult to determine who’s at fault or liable for an accident. For example, if a motorcyclist is riding down a beautiful country two lane road, around a bend, and an oncoming car clips the bike’s mirror. You as a rider may be blamed for taking the curve too fast when, in reality, the curve is not wide enough and the township should have made repairs to it, but did not.
You should never assume that you are at fault, or partially at-fault for a motorcycle accident. Talk to us, for free, with no obligation, to start the investigation and determine who is at fault. Not only will this prevent an insurer from taking advantage of you early on, but it will also allow us to collect the evidence your case needs while. Talk to a Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyer to find out more.
What are main causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Ontario?
Many times, motorcycle accidents are caused other drivers who simply fail to see or recognize motorcyclists in traffic. According to Ontario driving statistics, there are still less motorcyclists hurt or killed than pedestrians or bicyclists, but the actual number of injuries and fatalities caused by motorcycle crashes are still staggering. Some of the major factors of bike wrecks that are “non-traffic maneuvers” are caused by distracted driving, alcohol and speed related causes. Some of the common driver-related causes are motorcycle rider error, speed, entering a corner too fast, loss of control, locking the front brake, not judging the slipperiness of the road and overall biker inexperience.
Some of the more traffic related factors were at-fault drivers running amber lights and making careless left-hand turns. A car or truck might not see a rider approaching from the opposite direction, either because they were not paying attention or distracted. Other common causes of bike crashes are cars changing lanes into bikes, read end type crashes, cars opening their doors on busy roads. Single bike accidents can also cause catastrophic injuries – which can be caused by hitting gravel at high speed around a corner.
Hamilton Lawyers with Motorcycle Accident Experience
Our firm knows how to evaluate the costs and losses associated with a serious motorcycle accident injuries. We know that different injury types will both require different types of medical care and affect your life in different ways. Our Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyers specialize in representing motorcycle accident victims who have suffered severe life changing injuries such as:
- Broken Bones and Fractures – devastating motorcycle accidents often lead to orthopedic injuries including broken legs, broken pelvis, broken arms, broken shoulders, broken ankles, and various types of other fracture. Our motorcycle accident lawyers can help you collect the damages you’re owed.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – spinal cord injuries occur in the Ontario every year, and whether complete or incomplete, SCI’s leave victims their friends, and their family, to cope with the aftermath of the catastrophe. There is no way to plan for something as distressing as a spinal cord injury.
- Head and Brain Injuries – Traumatic and Acquired Brain Injuries are caused by external forces that incur in serious accidents. Closed head injuries are the most common type of head injuries in that occur in motorcycle accidents. A victim may suffer a brain injury that is mild to severe and cause speech impediment, stuttering, memory loss, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, difficulty thinking, attention deficit, mood swings and many other life changing cognitive symptoms.Facial Injuries – We have represented riders that were hurt riding Harley Davidson Motorcycles and other cruiser bikes. Often times bikers who ride cruiser wear open face helmets. The lack of protections can cause major. Riders can suffer fractured facial bones, orbital bones fractures, skin abrasions, a broken jaw and other serious injuries which often require surgery and skin grafting.
- Amputation Injuries: Amputation Injuries are common in serious motorcycle accidents. Amputation injuries after an accident often leads to phantom pain, or ghost pain, pain in the wound site and serious psychological injuries. Many injury victims who undergo amputation are never able to get back to work, or do so in a limited capacity for the remainder of their lives.
- Rotator Cuff Tears, Muscle Tears, Ligament and Tendon Tears – Rotator cuff tears are a common cause of pain and disability among motorcycle accident victims. Torn rotator cuff tendons can be partial or full thickness tears. Although tears can be degenerative, accidents are often the cause acute tears which often require surgery with a lengthy recovery. Ligaments and tendons in other joints like the wrist or knees can necessitate surgery, reconstruction or even joint replacement. One of the most common knee injuries in motorcycle accidents are anterior cruciate ligament sprain or tears.
Connect with a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Hamilton
If you have suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, you have the right to pursue legal action against those were responsible. Although our Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyers can’t undo the damage you face, we can fight to provide you with the financial security you need to begin healing and help go on with your life in the best matter possible.
Our Hamilton motorcycle accident lawyers can help you recover compensation for present or future medical expenses that OHIP will not cover, your lost income and wages, and other associated costs to help protect you, your family and significantly improve your ability to reach maximum recovery. Call us today at 905-333-8888 of fill in a contact form on our website today. We would be more than happy to provide you and your family a free consultation, with no obligation, to inform you of your legal rights.